A copy of TMOQ’s MY GOD! – first released in May of 1970 with square Athapascan labels and 20 1/2 matrix markings. Later known as 71005.
The seller wrote about the album shown below: “Writing on the back cover leads me to believe this lp was purchased on 9/25/1970”. So this one came from one of the first pressing runs. Vinyl looks black but was described as purple. This was only the second ever Dub Taylor/TMOQ release to be issued on colored vinyl (after Donovan’s Reedy River).
Ken: “While I was away Dub had mastered My God, by Jethro Tull which was mostly B sides added to a couple live songs he record in Long Beach with his shotgun mic. ”
April 19, 1970
Long Beach, CA. Long Beach Arena
2 NOTHING IS EASY
3 MY GOD
4 TO CRY YOU A SONG
5 WITH YOU THERE TO HELP ME
6 SOSSITY YOU’RE A WOMAN > REASONS FOR WAITING > SOSSITY YOU’RE A WOMAN
7 DHARMA FOR ONE
8 WE USED TO KNOW > GUITAR SOLO > FOR A THOUSAND MOTHERS
A half-pirate release. Dub selected only two segments from his audience recording and filled side two with UK singles and B-sides that had not been released in the U.S.:
Love Story / A Christmas Song November 1968 WIP 6048 (reached # 29 in UK) – 2nd ever Jethro Tull 45
Sweet Dream / 17 October 1969 WIP 6070 (# 9 in UK) – 4th JT 45
The Witch’s Promise / The Teacher January 1970 WIP 6077 (# 4 in UK) – 5th JT 45
For the famous FLUTE CAKE title, we are looking at four options, with the first two assuming that TMOQ’s 71044 release from July 1972 was the original and Dittolino copied it:
1. Dub bought a ticket to Tull’s next swing through So. Cal. at the Anaheim Convention Center on 19 October 1970 and recorded the show himself but did not ready it for a release it until 21 months later.
2. Someone else had recorded the performance and Dub received the tape only in 1972.
3. Dittolini were the first to release this album.
4. Another bootlegger was first, which would explain the time gap and the unusual matrix numbers of KW – 215344 A / B (also found on the Freebooter label).
Or perhaps, this was just a disguise used by Dub … or that sticker never belonged there:
recordsguild.com’s TMOQ wiki says the first version had this label type.
Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim, California
19 October 1970
01. Nothing is Easy 7:40
02. My God 11:41
03. We Used to Know 3:20
04. With You There to Help Me / By Kind Permission Of 13:06
05. Song for Jeffrey 5:13
06. Sossity, You’re a Woman 5:33
Total time: 46:37